Happy New Year from Phineas, Klio, BF and I! I hope everyone rang the New Year in with style and grace, and that 2014 brings you everything you need! I’ve been thinking about this post for 2 days, (we’ll see if the writing reflects that I suppose) most of the last day of 2013 and the first day of 2014, and I must say I’m very happy with 2013, and brightly looking forward to 2014. While 2013 was not without its challenges, I really believe this past year was part of a bigger plan, even with ups and downs, personally and professionally, everything that’s happened has set me up for a wonderful future, and I’m really truly excited to jump into 2014, while fondly look back on and end 2013.
Here’s some cool stuff from this year:
First big girl job, and business cards Surf City Half Marathon with surprise visit from my BFFs!First mud run with my BFF and BF! Ragnar SoCal, so many new friends! Heyyyy, Beach Cities Challenge complete! First time wine tasting with favorite Auntie and BF New running buddy, and one of my favorite new friendships. Fireworks on a boat in Long Beach with old friends. My dad coming to visit 🙂 Jay-Z and JT at the Rose Bowl with tailgating! Dancing with some of my best girls. Maple Bacon Donuts. A LOT of running and eating with this girl. Color run with BFF for her birthday. Love you Rocki 🙂 These girls + tequila are my favorites. Long Beach Marathon 🙂 New PR at the Santa Clarita MarathonJoining Back on My Feet LA and giving back through running. Realizing how much this wonderful guy has my back no matter what.
(Tucson Marathon) Loving how much fun we have together, and that we have so many wonderful years ahead of us.
I think 2013 rocked. Let’s get the show on the road 2014!
(Dang not even one cat picture in the bunch! I’m impressed with myself to be honest.)
I kept thinking about this post more and more as I saw friends, family, and acquaintances post resolutions, goals, and challenges for the New Year. (I also saw a lot of people didn’t have a very good 2013, sorry guys! I hope your 2014 is fantastic! It is what you make it after all!) but I realized I’m not much of a resolution person. I really try to take life one day at a time and just try to be better person than I was the day before, sometimes I’m successful sometimes not, (who doesn’t have a catty judgey moment once in while?). I thought about the resolutions I’d like to make, (I guess a lot of people make) lose 20 lbs, work out more consistently, eat only salads and smoothies only all the time, look like a Victoria’s Secret model but honestly when I think about it, I do a pretty good job with those things! (Maybe not the VS model part but hey, I run a lot and eat my veggies!)
While not a resolution person, I suppose you could say I’d like to set some broad goals for 2014, I think it’s a good mix of fitness/running, personal and professional related goals.
- Run my first triathlon. At some point in 2013 I decided I want to complete an Ironman before I’m 30, yup, I’m crazy, I’ve been made aware. But in order to complete this life goal, I figure I better make sure I like doing triathlons in the first place, so I want to do my first Tri. I don’t know the distance, how to train, but I’m a good swimmer, a decent runner, and the bike can’t be rocket science so I say I’ve got a good head start. Plus it’s January so I’ve got some time to figure it out! (if you have tips or advice, PLEASE reach out J)
- Be in the moment and not on my phone. This goal is really for both BF and me. I tend to be on my phone as a distraction when we are out together , which I understand is rude and comes off to him that I don’t want to be there or talk with him. I noticed I pull out my phone in all types of situations to distract myself or not have to engage with people. I think this happens to a lot of people and is a major fail. Even when your career choice is social media I think I owe it to the people I’m with to better engage. I’m going to really make an effort in 2014 to be present, and not on my phone, if you’re with me I’d love if you would join me in this!
- Grow and be more confident professionally while putting theory into practice. I want to be continually learning, but sometimes I think I get caught up in trying to learn everything, I forget to just give it a go and do it. This will be my year to take more risks and actually test my knowledge, by putting the theories and knowledge I have into practice. I can do it!
- Blog more. Post more recipes and craft some original ones. It’s been fun so far and I want to hold myself accountable to keeping up with this blog. It ties to my last goal, but when I have an idea I need to follow through and see it to the end.
- Run a sub-4 marathon, (and get to 10 total marathons). The key to this goal is to have fun while running, to not just focus on the time but to enjoy the experience and enjoy the run, because I have my best runs when I’m having fun. (cliché, but whatevs! It’s cliché because it’s true right!?)
There you have it five broad goals, resolutions, or whatever you want to call them for 2014. It’s the first time I’ve ever put goals for the New Year into writing, so lets see how the 2014 pans out. From my perspective it looks pretty bright! I hope you have a very happy, healthy New Year too!